SAILING: Kirk Stamford sails to success at Topper Traveller Open
- Credit: Archant
Kirk Stamford defied gusts of over 30 miles per hour to win the Topper Traveller Open at Ely Sailing Club last weekend.
Sixteen sailors – eight of which were visitors – went head-to-head and saw Ted Pepper take an early lead in the opening race.
But he was forced to settle for second place after Kirk overtook him and clinched the win. Visitor Seb Grotto finished in third.
Kirk’s win in the second race was more straightforward; the youngster lead from the start and held off the challenge of Ted and Seb to seal the win.
Kirk then clinched his hat-trick of wins in the third race – a battle which saw Ted hit by a spectacular capsize, allowing guest James Denney to claim third place. Grotto finished in second.
You may also want to watch:
Grotto waited until the final race to claim his first win, overtaking Kirk at the midway point.
Ted capsized again and James took advantage of this to finish in third.
- 1 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 2 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 3 Man found dead in March
- 4 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 7 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 10 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti