SAILING: Ely Sailing Club remembers former GB sailor at ‘Bart’s Bash’
- Credit: Archant
Sailors at Ely Sailing Club took to the water earlier this month to remember a former Great Britain Olympic sailor.
More than 10 boats set sail in memory of Andrew ‘Bart’ Simpson, who died when he yacht capsized in San Francisco Bay during the America’s Cup.
Gary Ungless claimed first place in the Bart’s Bash race, closely followed by Chandler Stamford, in a laser.
Alan White, in a solo, came third. In addition to the club’s usual racers, it welcomed several inexperienced sailors onto the water – Laura Campbell, Oliver Butler and Jo Wooddall.
In the second race of the day, first and second place stayed the same with Ian Wakeling claiming third.
You may also want to watch:
Chandler claimed his first win in the final race, beating second place Alan White on corrected time. His brother, Kirk, finished in third.
A spokesman said: “The day was enjoyed by all and created a very vibrant and friendly atmosphere.”
- 1 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 6 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 7 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 10 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry