SAILING: Chandler crowned Ely Sailing Club’s Laser Open Cup champion
- Credit: Archant
Chandler Stamford was crowned Laser Open Cup champion last weekend after storming to success in all of the competition’s four races.
The youngster triumphed ahead of rivals Andy Wilcox, John Wells and his brother, Kirk to lift the trophy at Roswell Pits.
In glorious sunshine, Chandler enjoyed a superb start in the first race, sailing clear of his competitors.
Wilcox, Wells and Stamford did manage to catch up to the leader following a calm but, but Chandler managed to get moving once again to cross the line in first place. Andy finished in second, with John and Kirk finished in third and fourth respectively.
Chandler stormed into the lead once again in the second race of the day, followed closely by Kirk.
However, John and Andy overtook the youngster thanks to a wind shift, but the duo were unable to dislodge Chandler from the top spot and the teenager sailed home in first to add his second victory.
In the third race, both John and Andy had great starts and sailed clear, with Kirk also making good progress upwind. Chandler caught up with John and Kirk, with Andy falling behind on the downwind leg.
- 1 Petition launched to save village pub
- 2 Two food businesses closed after cockroach infestations found
- 3 Pub company comes out fighting to keep controversial cuppa sign
- 4 Police ‘increasingly concerned’ for woman missing since Wednesday
- 5 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 6 Murder trial jury told mother said she could not have children
- 7 College pupils bring School of Rock to life on stage
- 8 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 9 Father accused of baby daughter's murder gave her squash, court told
- 10 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
A rule infringement by John allowed Kirk and Chandler to break free and Chandler eventually sailed clear of his brother on the reach.
John also used the gust to get past Kirk but it wasn’t enough to reel Chandler in with him claiming a third straight win.
With the winner concluded, some competitors began to pack away, leaving Chandler and Andy to race.
A dark storm cloud brought extremely strong winds and Andy began sailing away from Chandler, with the latter being overpowered.
However, Chandler kept in close distance with Andy, and capitalised when the sun returned and winds dropped to move past Andy and complete his clean sweep of victories.
The Laser Open Cup was then presented to Chandler, with Andy collecting second place and John getting the third place award.