Rusell helps himself to a hat-trick
RIDGEONS LEAGUE DIVISION ONE Ely City 3 Gorleston 1 RUSSELL Flitton helped himself to a second-half hat-trick as Ely City took another giant step towards their goal of Premier Division football. It was obviously a very important result for us, said R
Ely City 3 Gorleston 1
RUSSELL Flitton helped himself to a second-half hat-trick as Ely City took another giant step towards their goal of Premier Division football.
"It was obviously a very important result for us," said Robins boss Dennis Lightning afterwards, who was also pleased for the midfielder.
"It was good for him because in the previous match at Godmanchester he was sent off and had to apologise to the rest of the lads," Lightning added.
- 1 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 2 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 3 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 4 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 5 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 6 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 7 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 8 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
- 9 Mike Rouse: A lifetime's passion for books and literature
- 10 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
Ely nullified Gorleston's wingers with a 3-2-3-2 formation and eventually took control of the match in the second half.
Flitton scored in the 55th and 70th minutes to put City 2-0 up. "I thought that would be it," confessed Lightning afterwards, "but Gorleston pulled one back after 73 minutes and it turned into a closer game than I thought it would be."
Flitton eased his manager's worries with a third goal in the 83rd minute however, and Ely now have 67 of the maximum 72 points they need to clinch promotion.
Lightning believes that his side may already have done enough however.
"As far as I'm concerned all of the leading teams have got to play the teams around them, and they can't all win," said Lightning, "so we don't need to do much more.
"Having said that I want us to win all our remaining games."
Ely entertain Halstead Town on Saturday.