Rusell helps himself to a hat-trick
RIDGEONS LEAGUE DIVISION ONE Ely City 3 Gorleston 1 RUSSELL Flitton helped himself to a second-half hat-trick as Ely City took another giant step towards their goal of Premier Division football. It was obviously a very important result for us, said R
Ely City 3 Gorleston 1
RUSSELL Flitton helped himself to a second-half hat-trick as Ely City took another giant step towards their goal of Premier Division football.
You may also want to watch:
"It was obviously a very important result for us," said Robins boss Dennis Lightning afterwards, who was also pleased for the midfielder.
"It was good for him because in the previous match at Godmanchester he was sent off and had to apologise to the rest of the lads," Lightning added.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 4 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 7 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 8 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 9 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
Ely nullified Gorleston's wingers with a 3-2-3-2 formation and eventually took control of the match in the second half.
Flitton scored in the 55th and 70th minutes to put City 2-0 up. "I thought that would be it," confessed Lightning afterwards, "but Gorleston pulled one back after 73 minutes and it turned into a closer game than I thought it would be."
Flitton eased his manager's worries with a third goal in the 83rd minute however, and Ely now have 67 of the maximum 72 points they need to clinch promotion.
Lightning believes that his side may already have done enough however.
"As far as I'm concerned all of the leading teams have got to play the teams around them, and they can't all win," said Lightning, "so we don't need to do much more.
"Having said that I want us to win all our remaining games."
Ely entertain Halstead Town on Saturday.