Runners set for the big day
THE Grunty Fen Half Marathon gets off the line on Sunday and hundreds of runners from across the country will be taking part. This year s race will be the 17th running of the event and incorporates the Cambs Road Race League, the Cambs AA County Champions
THE Grunty Fen Half Marathon gets off the line on Sunday and hundreds of runners from across the country will be taking part.
This year's race will be the 17th running of the event and incorporates the Cambs Road Race League, the Cambs AA County Championships and for the first time, the Association of Running Clubs (ARC) Half Marathon National Championships.
There will be another first for the half-marathon when competitors will use a chip timing system with start and finish detection.
The race will start and finish at Witchford Village College and runners will complete two laps of the fast, flat course, which takes in Main Street and surrounding countryside.
You may also want to watch:
Also taking place on Sunday will be the popular one-mile fun run. Entry costs £2 and those wishing to take part should submit a form at the college on the day.
Entries for the half-marathon are closed and cannot be accepted on the day.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 4 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 7 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 8 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 9 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 10 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
The start times will be 10.15am for wheelchair racers, 10.30am for half-marathon runners and 10.45am for the fun run.
All half-marathon and fun run finishers will receive a medal. Trophies will be presented to race winners, the first-place teams and category winners by Mayor of Ely, Cllr Ronald Bradney.
For more information on the event or to register an entry visit www.gruntyfen.co.uk. More information is also available via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
n Look out for full results and more pictures from the Grunty Fen Half Marathon by visiting www.ely-standard.co.uk from Monday.