Runners race the train
ELY RUNNERS ROUND-UP RACE THE TRAIN, TYWYN, WALES, SATURDAY ELY Runner Kevin Fox was 202nd of 711 starters in 2:00 (chip position and time) competing in this popular race to beat a train on the historic Talyllyn narrow-gauge steam railway. It runs from th
ELY RUNNERS ROUND-UP
RACE THE TRAIN, TYWYN, WALES, SATURDAY
ELY Runner Kevin Fox was 202nd of 711 starters in 2:00 (chip position and time) competing in this popular race to beat a train on the historic Talyllyn narrow-gauge steam railway. It runs from the mid Wales coast at Tywyn up into the hills to Abergynolwyn and Nant Gwernol via Dolgoch Falls. The 14.75 mile course was out and back over multiple terrain, negotiating steep ascents and descents, severe cambers, narrow sheep tracks, wooded tracks and rough meadows. Conditions were difficult due to torrential rain and strong head or side winds.
After three days of rainfall, the route was slippery and in places unstable. Although he didn't beat the train, Kevin enjoyed the tough conditions and may try again another year. The only Ely Runner to have beaten the train was Kevin Ross in 2000 when he finished 115th in 1:44:45, a mere 26 seconds ahead of the engine's arrival whistle.
THORNEY 5 MILES ROAD RACE, SUNDAY AUGUST 20
FOUR Ely Runners were among the 184 finishers competing on a flat, out and back course along the old A47 east of Thorney with two 'U' turns.
- 1 Fire crews called to car fire on railway line
- 2 Car rolled in crash on A14
- 3 Councillor quits as voters get set for two Ely by-elections
- 4 Huntingdon and Peterborough hospitals bring back masks after rise in Covid numbers
- 5 MP officially begins new era for major UK supplier
- 6 Caravan site wants 10 new lodges to cope with demand
- 7 Man jealous of ex-wife's new relationship burnt down house
- 8 Drink-driver 'almost hit police car' in crash
- 9 Smoke plume in village near Cambridge thought to be car fire
- 10 Development plans submitted for next phase of Cambridge North
This is a new course for the Cambs Road Race League event, as the traditional course along minor fenland roads north of Thorney had been rendered unusable due to the new A47 bypass. Official results:
58th Darren Murfitt 33:37 6th MV40; 85th Peter Harris 35:22 6th MV55; 87th Birgitta Bramley 35:50 2nd FV50 (award); 96th John Turner 36:31 3rd MV60.
Conditions were quite difficult, being very warm and humid plus a headwind for the second half of the race.