RUGBY UNION: Nathan Brooks’ brace not enough for Ely Tigers as Cambridge 2nds triumph in County Cup last four
- Credit: Archant
There will be no County Cup glory for Ely Tigers this season.
The local lads were dumped out of the competition at the semi-finals stage by a superior Cambridge 2nds side, who ran out 26-12 winners at Downham Road.
The higher-level side dotted down the only try of the first half, before Nathan Brooks put Ely in control with a well-taken try of his own early in the second period.
Cambridge dotted down after a rolling maul to restore their advantage, before Brooks stampeded over a group of defenders and dived over the try line.
But that was to be the end of the scoring for Ely who were powerless to halt Cambridge who notched a third converted try to seal their passage into the final.
You may also want to watch:
The Tigers will look to bounce back on March 25 when they return to London Leagues action with a meeting with Basildon.
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Plans revealed for new A10 pedestrian bridge
- 4 'I feel alive for the first time': Slimmer lost half his body weight in lockdown
- 5 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 6 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 7 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 8 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 9 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 10 Matt’s 46-day charity cycle from Burwell to Istanbul raises over £2,000