RUGBY UNION: Matt McCarthy’s treble helps Ely Tigers to final day success
- Credit: Archant
A surging second-half display helped a depleted Ely Tigers side claim a final day victory over Lowestoft & Yarmouth last weekend.
The Tigers sealed their third straight win – and a fifth place London League Division 3NE finish - with a 48-17 success over the coastal club.
But their win wasn’t as straightforward as they’d have hoped, with the hosts spurning an early opportunity to take the lead with a penalty.
Luckily for Ely it was missed, and the Tigers kicked on from there, notching their first try of the afternoon through Nathan Brooks.
The home side fired back with a try of their own, but man-of-the-match Matt McCarthy added a brace and Joel Scott Paul kicked a penalty to give their side a 22-10 advantage going into the break.
You may also want to watch:
Ely stepped it up a gear in the second half and McCarthy added his third try after catching a chip through from Scott Paul.
Brooks soon helped himself to a second and Alfie Ramswell put his name on the score sheet with a carbon copy of McCarthy’s third try.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 3 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 4 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 5 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 6 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 7 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 8 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 9 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 10 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
Debutant Mark Whittaker then capped an afternoon to remember with his first try for the club after scything through the opposition’s defence.
The hosts did reduce the deficit with a late try but Ely had already secured their 12th victory of the season.