RUGBY UNION: Matt McCarthy’s treble helps Ely Tigers to final day success
- Credit: Archant
A surging second-half display helped a depleted Ely Tigers side claim a final day victory over Lowestoft & Yarmouth last weekend.
The Tigers sealed their third straight win – and a fifth place London League Division 3NE finish - with a 48-17 success over the coastal club.
But their win wasn’t as straightforward as they’d have hoped, with the hosts spurning an early opportunity to take the lead with a penalty.
Luckily for Ely it was missed, and the Tigers kicked on from there, notching their first try of the afternoon through Nathan Brooks.
The home side fired back with a try of their own, but man-of-the-match Matt McCarthy added a brace and Joel Scott Paul kicked a penalty to give their side a 22-10 advantage going into the break.
Ely stepped it up a gear in the second half and McCarthy added his third try after catching a chip through from Scott Paul.
Brooks soon helped himself to a second and Alfie Ramswell put his name on the score sheet with a carbon copy of McCarthy’s third try.
- 1 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 2 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 3 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 4 Councillor hits out at 'huge intransigence' over splash pad project
- 5 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 6 ‘It’s been like this for 11 months’ - woman’s assisted refuse collection failure
- 7 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 8 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
- 9 Shoplifter barred from every M&S and Sainsbury's in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Efforts of Cambridgeshire’s Covid community champions recognised in Parliament
Debutant Mark Whittaker then capped an afternoon to remember with his first try for the club after scything through the opposition’s defence.
The hosts did reduce the deficit with a late try but Ely had already secured their 12th victory of the season.