RUGBY UNION: Ely Tigers run in eight tries to see off Basildon challenge
- Credit: Archant
Ely Tigers look set to finish the season with a flourish after recording their second consecutive victory last weekend.
The Tigers moved to within two points of fifth spot in the London Leagues Three North-East Division thanks to an impressive 47-12 victory over Basildon at Downham Road.
Tries from Sam Smith, Mitchell Kennett, Charlie Coupland, Sam Benzie, and doubles from skipper Luke Cornwell and Chris Offley did the job for the local lads – but it could have been so much different for Ely after they fell behind to an early Basildon try.
But instead of hanging their heads, the Tigers roared back and dotted down for the first time of the afternoon through Smith.
Kennett crashed over soon after to give Ely the advantage, and before the half was out Coupland and Benzie added more scores.
You may also want to watch:
Ely entered the second half keen to grab a bonus point and it soon came courtesy of youngster Offley, who danced past his opposite number and dotted down.
Offley helped himself to a second in similar style, before Cornwell added two to his tally following neat work from Matt Ings.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 8 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 9 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 10 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
Basildon reduced the arrears late on but it was too little, too late and Ely eased to their 10th win of the season.
They will hope to make that 11 next weekend in their penultimate game of the season against Ilford Wanderers.
The Wanderers are rock bottom of the league standings and have only won two games all season.