RUGBY UNION: Ely Tigers involved in disappointing opening day draw
- Credit: Archant
Ely Tigers failed to live up to their name on the opening day of the London Leagues season last weekend.
The local lads were held by Woodbridge in a low-scoring affair at Downham Road, with just 10 points scored in a 5-5 draw.
Woodbridge enjoyed a more successful start last Saturday, camping the Tigers in their twenty-two.
Ely responded well and were able to clear their lines effectively until the visitors broke through and dotted down for an unconverted try.
Ely levelled shortly after through Nathan Brooks, who crashed over from the back of a ruck, but captain Joel Scott Paul saw his conversion sail wide of the posts.
You may also want to watch:
And Brooks’ effort proved to be the last of the game as the heavens opened and killed any opportunity of a fast-paced encounter.
The Tigers will hope to find their scoring boots this weekend when they make the short trip to Cambridgeshire rivals, Wisbech, who marked their London Leagues return with a heavy 48-5 defeat to Southwold.
- 1 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 5 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 6 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 7 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 8 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 9 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 10 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry