Rugby: Defeat For Ely Development Squad
Ely II 0 Newmarket II 52 ELY S development squad met Newmarket s development squad on Saturday (27) at home in a GK Merit game. Newmarket went to Ely looking to claim their eighth successive victory and their fifth game without conceding a point. They w
Ely II 0
Newmarket II 52
ELY'S development squad met Newmarket's development squad on Saturday (27) at home in a GK Merit game.
Newmarket went to Ely looking to claim their eighth successive victory and their fifth game without conceding a point. They were not disappointed.w
You may also want to watch:
Kicking off into a strong wind blowing straight down the pitch the early signs were that Ely would make a game of it and make Newmarket work hard. Ely kept the ball tight and make good progress with a series of pick and drives. They had the first opportunity to score when Newmarket conceded a penalty within kicking range but the wind took the kick wide.
From that point on it was all Newmarket. The first try came from Michael Palmer and Parr kicked the extra three points. With the strong wind making passing difficult the Newmarket backs struggled to get into their stride and it wasn't until just before half time that Josh Parry increased the lead with Parr adding the points and Ely found themselves two converted tries down with the score at 0-14.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 Man found dead in March
- 8 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 9 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
- 10 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
Playing with the wind in the second half Newmarket let loose and were able to play with the weather conditions which Ely was unable to use to their advantage. Intelligent kicking kept Ely penned in their own half and the tries came at regular intervals. Newmarket scored a further five tries with no reply from Ely and the visitors returned home with an emphatic ninth successive victory against Ely's development squad under their belts.
Photos: HELEN DRAKE