Rovers End Season With Cup Win
HADDENHAM Rovers finished a difficult season in great style by winning the annual Cottenham five-a-side knockout cup. A great start saw them beat Ely A with a Josh Robinson free kick and a great finish from an acute angle by John Falconer.
After drawing 0-0 with Stretham, Haddenham took on rivals Chatteris A beating them 2-0 with a Robinson goal and a great solo effort from Tyrrell Barrett. They then played the hosts Cottenham drawing 1-1 with Robinson scoring, but due to a penalty, stand-in keeper Kieran Drummond conceded his first and only goal of the competition.
Rovers finished off the group matches with a fine 2-0 win over Cherry Hinton with yet another Robinson goal and a low drive from 18 yards from Jake Bartolozzi making sure they topped the group with 11 points.
Throughout the five group games there was some great keeping from Drummond and well organised defending from Bartolozzi and Falconer as Rovers performed solidly at the back. The midfield duo of Charlie Russell and Ryan Bowles was causing chaos with both going close several times putting balls through to Robinson and Barrett.
In the quarter finals Rovers played against Ely B beating them 2-0 thanks to a Robinson free kick, and Barrett who netted after latching on a fine pass from Bowles.
You may also want to watch:
In the semi-final Haddenham played Girton winning with ease with goals again from Robinson and captain Bartolozzi.
In the final the beat a well organised Chatteris B team.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 9 Rail volunteers recognised at awards ceremony
- 10 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
At the start of the game Rovers had a great chance with Bowles going close and Drummond making a great save to keep the scores even. An excellent challenge from Bartolozzi won the ball in defence and found Falconer on the wing who put a great ball just yards in front of Robinson to go on and fire past the diving keeper to score his seventh of the day and Rovers winner.
In the second half Rovers took total control bringing on Barrett and Russell to see out the game in style and secure the cup.