Robinson pounces to grab point for Greens
Ware 1 Soham Town Rangers 1
A MATT Robinson goal less than 10 minutes from time handed Soham a share of the spoils at strugglers Ware on Saturday.
Second half substitute Robinson, was in the right place at the right time in the 81st minute to head home a half-cleared ball and earn Soham a face-saving point.
The draw ensured Soham remain unbeaten in their last three league outings, though they remain in 15th place in the Ryman League Division One North ahead of their match against Cheshunt on Saturday.
Returning Soham goalkeeper Lea Jordan was pressed into action on several occasions during the opening quarter as Ware set about pressing the visitors.
Andy Furnell’s men found it hard to get a foothold in the match until shortly before the half-hour mark when Ware’s Vince Rispoli was given his marching orders for deliberately handling Michael Simpson’s goal-bound header.
Unfortunately for Soham however, the normally reliable Simon Flanz spurned an opportunity to put Soham in front as his spot kick was saved by home custodian Rhys Madden.
- 1 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 2 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 3 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 4 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 5 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 6 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 7 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 8 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 9 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 10 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
To deepen their woe, Soham soon found themselves a goal down as Ricci Crace slotted past Jordan on the angle from 10 yards after a neat one-two.
The lively Dubi Ogbonna saw a shot well saved by Madden in the aftermath of the goal, with an effort from close range also denied in the minutes before half-time
Soham boss Furnell and front-man Denny Escorcio came off at half-time, with Richard Gammon and Robinson thrown into the frey in their places.
Ware came close to doubling their lead minutes after the re-start only to be denied by the outstretched hand of Jordan, who doubtless kept his side in the match.
Gammon saw a lopping effort bounce off the home bar ten minutes into the half as the visitors began to press, and he found himself well placed again 10 minutes later only for his shot to be cleared off the line by Ware’s Dave Bastian.
Soham’s persistence finally paid off in the 81st minute as Robinson reacted decisively to a half-cleared ball to slot home.