Robins still in the mix despite scrappy win
Walsham le Willows 0 Ely City 2
ELY City kept pace with league leaders Wroxham on Saturday despite a fitful display against struggling Walsham.
Richard Gammon, with his first in Ely colours, and Luke Parkinson provided goals either side of the break to hand the Robins the three points despite a scrappy performance that lacked their usual gloss.
The win extends Ely’s unbeaten run into its ninth game and keeps them within three points of leaders Wroxham, who are due to face second-place Brantham on Saturday while Ely host Great Yarmouth Town.
Despite largely struggling to make an impression on the compact Walsham defence, Alan Alsop’s charges finally stole into the lead in the 35th minute as former Soham striker Gammon added a composed finish to a threaded ball.
You may also want to watch:
The match took a sudden turn for the worst after the break when midfielder Dave Wilson was sent for an early bath in the 63rd minute following a second yellow card.
Far from being overrun however, Ely pushed forward and snared a second goal courtesy of a well-timed Parkinson volley which found thundered past the home keeper.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 5 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 6 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 7 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 8 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
- 9 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 10 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens