Robins start season with disappointing defeat
- Credit: James Bass
Thurlow Nunn Premier Division Gorleston 3 Ely City 1
THE Robins opened their 2013/14 account with a disappointing defeat at league favourites Gorleston.
When Alan Alsop’s side visited this part of Norfolk late last season, they were subjected to an 8-1 hammering, albeit with their status in the league secure and the Cambridgeshire Invitation Cup already in the trophy cabinet.
It was all to play for on Saturday, however, but the Robins were again left wanting as Gorleston eased to the win.
Keegan Middleton opened the scoring in the 25th minute for the hosts after following up Bradley Hough’s effort to ram the ball home. The made it 2-0 when Hough finished off some fine approach play by Finch.
You may also want to watch:
It was game over midway through the second half when Nathan Stone fired home. Richard Chadwick pulled one back for Ely but it was too little too late.
Alsop’s charges will be back in action again on Tuesday evening as they host Newmarket Town at the Unwin Ground.
- 1 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 4 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 5 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 6 Man found dead in March
- 7 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 10 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success