Robins show great Brand of attack
By ADAM LAZZARI RIDGEONS DIVISION ONE Ely City 4 Walsham Le Willows 0 AN impressive performance from the Robins saw them ride to a comfortable win against promotion chasers Walsham Le Willows at the Unwin Ground on Saturday. Changes were made right up
By ADAM LAZZARI
RIDGEONS DIVISION ONE
Ely City 4 Walsham Le Willows 0
AN impressive performance from the Robins saw them ride to a comfortable win against promotion chasers Walsham Le Willows at the Unwin Ground on Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
Changes were made right up to kick off time with Tony Brown unwell, Paul Cousins being caught up in a road accident on the way to the ground and with Rory Hutton missing injured and Gary Dewsbury on holiday.
Young striker Ashley Brand, last week's acquisition from March, was handed his debut and his pace and work-rate made him a handful for the visitors' defence to cope with.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
Ely played at a high tempo and they took a deserved lead after 13 minutes when captain Andy Chatters scored with a well-hit shot from a tight angle.
Walsham responded brightly and a Tim Catley made a good save to ensure that Ely retained their 1-0 lead at half time.
Ely continued to pass and move well and quickly assumed control in the second half, keeping the visitors on the back-foot. They doubled their lead 10 minutes into the second half when substitute Lawrie Carter found the net with a sweet strike from 20 yards and they were 3-0 up within an hour when Simon Warren pounced on a rebound after some good work and a shot from the debutant Brand.
Chatters wrapped up the victory with his second goal 15 minutes from the end when he rounded the keeper and finished with aplomb.
Ely City's joint manager Steve Taylor said: "We went at them from start to finish and it was a very good all round performance."
Speaking about the new boy Brand, Taylor said: "He was sharp and pacey and very difficult for the opposition to mark. He played with a lot of maturity and I was very impressed with his overall game."
# Two Premier Division games fell foul of Saturday's weather. Both Mildenhall's trip to Lowestoft and Soham's visit to Wroxham were postponed due to waterlogged pitches.