Robins secure easy victory
RIDGEONS LEAGUE FIRST DIVISION Ely City 3 March Town United 0 THE Robins started 2008 with an easy victory over their neighbours. March s James Richardson was sent off in the 12th minute for preventing a certain goal with his hand, Mark Kirby put away the
RIDGEONS LEAGUE FIRST DIVISION
Ely City 3 March Town United 0
THE Robins started 2008 with an easy victory over their neighbours.
March's James Richardson was sent off in the 12th minute for preventing a certain goal with his hand, Mark Kirby put away the spot kick and from there the result was never in doubt.
You may also want to watch:
Only poor finishing prevented what might resemble a cricket score.
March stopper Gary Goode was quick off is line to block Andy Pettit when clean through after 20 minutes and Robbie Mason, who caused the visitors problems all afternoon with his power and pace, fired over after beating the last defender.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 6 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 7 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 8 Gym’s ‘money for miles’ Children in Need fundraiser
- 9 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 10 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
Ely continued to carve out opportunities and their skipper Simon Warren doubled the advantage by heading in from close range after Ben Lawrence's gigantic throw in the 37th minute.
Petttit missed a great chance to make it 3-0 in the 42nd minute when he miscued his shot from eight yards after good work on the left from Tom Pell, before Brady Stone shot a free header wide from six yards after Jamie Alsop's cross from the left.
Luke Weston had March's best chance just before the half-time whistle.
The big striker's glancing header fell just wide following Sam Bate's free-kick from the left.
March's 10 men defended resolutely to keep the majority of the second half scoreless.
But shortly after Ely substitute Andy Chatters received a booking for a late lunge on Luke Pepper, that saw the March skipper hobble off for treatment, Mason rifled home a last-minute volley from 12 yards to seal the win.