Robins return for Chatters
ANDY Chatters has returned to Ely City s first-team squad. The creative left-sided midfielder was Ely captain last season but left the club in the summer because of work commitments and signed for Yaxley. Chatters, 30, rejoined the Robins two months ago b
ANDY Chatters has returned to Ely City's first-team squad.
The creative left-sided midfielder was Ely captain last season but left the club in the summer because of work commitments and signed for Yaxley.
Chatters, 30, rejoined the Robins two months ago but has not been regularly available and played in the reserve team.
Ely boss Dennis Lightning said: "Andy's a top player and when he's on form he can be a match-winner, so it's obviously a massive boost to have him back in the squad. He's sorted out his work situation and he can now train every week, which he couldn't do last season and it was badly affecting his fitness. But to have Andy back, fit and in form should really help our promotion challenge."
You may also want to watch:
Lightning has also added 19-year-old centre-back Richard Grimster to his squad.
Grimster played for Soham Town Rangers last season and joins Ely from Ridgeons Premier Division strugglers Newmarket Town.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 5 Man found dead in March
- 6 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 7 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
- 8 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 9 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 10 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
Lightning said: "I've not seen Richard play but he comes highly recommended. I'll have to have a look at him and decide how he will fit into the squad but he's certainly looks to be one for the future."
A waterlogged pitch meant Ely's Tuesday night Hunts Premier Cup fixture against Huntingdon Town was postponed.
Chatters and Grimster are both available for Ely's next match, at home in the league against Debenham LC on December 22.
Meanwhile, Ely have won the Ridgeons Team of the Month for November.
They won all four of their league games and three Ridgeons cup matches during the month, scored 23 and conceded eight goals.
Ely will receive a £150 cheque for the club, plus £100 for their chosen charity at a presentation before the Debenham match.