Robins Power Up League With Woodbridge Win
ELY City edged closer to mid-table respectability at the weekend thanks to a polished 2-0 win at Woodbridge Town. Front-pair Robbie Mason and Owen Kessack did the damage for the Robins, scoring either side of half-time to cap a decent performance in a mus
ELY City edged closer to mid-table respectability at the weekend thanks to a polished 2-0 win at Woodbridge Town.
Front-pair Robbie Mason and Owen Kessack did the damage for the Robins, scoring either side of half-time to cap a decent performance in a must-win game for the ever-improving Robins.
The win moves the Robins up into 12th place in the Ridgeons Premier League ahead of their clash with promotion hopefuls Stanway at the weekend.
Boss Denis Lightning said: "It wasn't a great game to be honest but I said to the lads at half-time that sometimes you have got to win scruffy and that is what we did.
You may also want to watch:
"Woodbridge are a promising young side but they didn't cause us too many problems and I think the win puts us well on course for a top 10 finish."
Mason bagged Ely's first from the penalty spot after the referee blew up for a handball five minutes short of half-time.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 10 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
Ely kicked on in the second-half and notched their second just ten minutes in through loan-signing Kessack who drilled home from range.