Robins on the hunt for new names as pre-season preparations begin
- Credit: Archant
Ely City’s new director of football, Sam Turner, says he and manager Brady Stone are working hard to bring new signings into the club – as the Robins looks to improve on last season’s poor league campaign.
The news comes just days after the draws for the extra-preliminary round of the FA Cup and the FA Vase were made – pitting Ely against Kirkley and Pakefield and Thetford Town respectively.
The ties will take place on August 16 and September 6.
Both competitions will provide a potentially lucrative payday for the club and Turner insists the management team – which includes assistant manager Martin Grey – are working around the club to get ready for the new season.
He said: “We are asking for all Ely supporters and the city of Ely to support the club and help push the club forward this season. The management team is working hard to make this season a progressive and exciting time for the supporters and all involved at the club.
“A lot of hard work is undertaken behind the scenes and we urge the fans to really get behind the team for the forthcoming season.
“The league campaign is slowly approaching and we are all working hard to make the city of Ely proud of our football club.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 3 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 4 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 5 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 6 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 7 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 8 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 9 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 10 Corporal lines up world record 135km paddleboard trek for 'gleaming' Bobby
“The early signs in pre season training that has taken place so far is that the boys are willing to learn and work hard for the manager Brady Stone and play football with a smile on there face.
“Brady and I are working very hard to bring in new signings to the club and the outlook is looking bright for the start of the new league season.”
The 2013/14 season was a tough one for the Robins, with the club only narrowly avoiding relegation from the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division, while manager Alan Alsop quit with little more than 10 games to go.
They also failed to mount a decent defence of their Cambridgeshire Invitation Cup, going down 4-1 to lowly Foxton.
The club is training every Tuesday and Thursday at 7pm and any players old and new are welcome to attend. Any players who require further information can contact Sam Turner on 07583972835.
July 19: Ely City vs Royston (1pm)
July 22: Ely City vs Soham Town Rangers (7.45pm)
July 26: Ely City vs King’s Lynn Reserves (3pm)
July 29: Ely City vs Cambridge City (7.45pm)
August 2: Hardwick vs Ely City (3)