Robins off to a flyer at Felixstowe
ELY CITY got their new Ridgeons League Premier Division campaign off to a perfect start with a 2-0 win at Felixstowe & Walton United on Saturda
ELY CITY got their new Ridgeons League Premier Division campaign off to a perfect start with a 2-0 win at Felixstowe & Walton United on Saturday.
Skipper Simon Warren opened the scoring on 82 minutes, heading home Mark Johnston’s free-kick from the right.
And the points were secure four minutes from time, when a good move down the left resulted in Dave Smith crossing for fellow sub Andy Pettit to head home at the far post.
The result was even sweeter as opponents Felixstowe won both league games between the two sides last season and finished seventh in the table, two places above Ely.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re all pleased with the result as we don’t often come away from Felixstowe with a great deal,” said Robins manager Dennis Lightning.
He continued: “It’s always a tough place to go, so we’re chuffed to take three points on the opening day of the season.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 5 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
“It was all hands to the pumps in the first half, as they were quite lively and we had to defend with numbers behind the ball.
“But we defended really well and restricted them to a couple of half chances and said at half time we just needed to be patient, as they couldn’t keep up that pace for 90 minutes.”