Robins off to a flyer at Felixstowe
ELY CITY got their new Ridgeons League Premier Division campaign off to a perfect start with a 2-0 win at Felixstowe & Walton United on Saturda
ELY CITY got their new Ridgeons League Premier Division campaign off to a perfect start with a 2-0 win at Felixstowe & Walton United on Saturday.
Skipper Simon Warren opened the scoring on 82 minutes, heading home Mark Johnston’s free-kick from the right.
And the points were secure four minutes from time, when a good move down the left resulted in Dave Smith crossing for fellow sub Andy Pettit to head home at the far post.
The result was even sweeter as opponents Felixstowe won both league games between the two sides last season and finished seventh in the table, two places above Ely.
“We’re all pleased with the result as we don’t often come away from Felixstowe with a great deal,” said Robins manager Dennis Lightning.
He continued: “It’s always a tough place to go, so we’re chuffed to take three points on the opening day of the season.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 3 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 4 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 5 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 6 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 7 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 8 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 9 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 10 Corporal lines up world record 135km paddleboard trek for 'gleaming' Bobby
“It was all hands to the pumps in the first half, as they were quite lively and we had to defend with numbers behind the ball.
“But we defended really well and restricted them to a couple of half chances and said at half time we just needed to be patient, as they couldn’t keep up that pace for 90 minutes.”