Robins march on with derby win
Ely City 1 Mildenhall Town 0
A GOAL 10 minutes from time handed Ely City the perfect start to the new year and ensured their promotion push continued to gather momentum.
Richard Chadwick headed home his ninth of the season in the 81st minute to hand derby victory to the Robins, in a hard-fought contest against their local rivals.
Though they remain in third place in the Ridgeons Premier League, the win ensured Alan Alsop’s men are now level on points with second-placed Brantham Athletic, with a game in hand.
Boss Alan Alsop said: “It was a typical local derby, one of those games where there wasn’t a lot in it and one goal either way would probably have clinched it.
“Neither keeper had much to do in the first half but I think we pushed on in the second half and had the better of the chances and really had them on the back foot.
“It was a good workmanlike performance and I think in the end we deserved it, the team worked really hard for each other.”
- 1 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 4 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 5 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
- 6 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 7 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 8 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 9 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 10 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
Chances were hard to come by on a rain-soaked and heavy pitch, with Austen Diaper’s snap shot from the edge of the box the pick of Ely’s first-half efforts.
The match continued to be tight after the break and it wasn’t until the latter stages that Nick Impey was able to break free of his marker on the wing and cross from Chadwick to head home the winner.
The Robins host strugglers Walsham le Willows on Saturday, though the visitors will be boosted by victories over leaders Wroxham and second-place Brantham in successive games.