Robins let it slip against Hadleigh

ELY City twice threw away the lead in a remarkable match with mid-table Hadleigh on Saturday.

Despite scarcely threatening the Ely goal for more than an hour, the visitors burst into life in the final quarter of the match and hit four goals inside 15 minutes to sink the shell-shocked Robins.

The loss leaves Alan Alsop’s men stuck in 17th place in the Ridgeons Premier League, with work still to do to be sure of safety this season.

While most spectators were still coming through the turnstiles, Richard Chadwick put Ely in front, seizing on a mistake from the Hadleigh centre back to streak through and place past the stranded keeper. The official timer showed just six seconds on the clock.

The Robins remained in control of the match in the aftermath of the goal and enjoyed much of the possession as Hadleigh toiled.

The lively Chadwick had a shot from 18 yards well saved and Sam Goodge saw his volley from range smothered as Ely finished the half on a high.

Defender Adam Murray spurned an excellent chance to make it 2-0 early in the second half, glancing his header wide when leaping highest at a corner.

Most Read

Against the run of play, Hadleigh got back on terms as a sweeping ball from midfield found Ben Alexander who finished well from 10 yards.

Less than five minutes later and Ely were back in front as right back Chris Sterecki found space on the edge of the box to curl home past the goalkeeper.

Instead of pushing on however, Ely were once again pegged back as a free-kick from wide on the left was whipped into the path of Deacon who completed his brace with a well-timed header.

Rattled by the second equaliser, Ely became sloppy and conceded once more as a deep corner was nodded back across goal and into the path of Daryl Alexander who scrambled home.

Five minutes later and the points were sealed for United by Ollie Canfer who made the most of foolhardy Ely defending by firing home at the back post after the home side again failed to stick with their markers.