Robins’ injuries prove costly
RIDGEONS FIRST DIVISION Fulbourn Institute 3 Ely City 0 LAST-MINUTE injuries and absences did not help Ely s cause as they were beaten by high-flying Fulbourn on Saturday. Vinnie Long was missing from the match-day squad due to a family bereavement, while
RIDGEONS FIRST DIVISION
Fulbourn Institute 3 Ely City 0
LAST-MINUTE injuries and absences did not help Ely's cause as they were beaten by high-flying Fulbourn on Saturday.
Vinnie Long was missing from the match-day squad due to a family bereavement, while Tony Brown's persistent ankle problem ruled him out on the morning of the game.
You may also want to watch:
In addition, captain Andy Chatters went off after five minutes with a calf strain.
Under these circumstances, it was perhaps surprising that Ely had the better of the first half hour, with Ashley Brand, Robbie Mason and Dean Blackman all missing chances, before Fulbourn took the lead.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 4 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 7 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 8 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 9 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 10 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
They added two more goals in the second half to complete what turned out to be a comprehensive win, although a Robins team with several under-18s players featuring did not disgrace itself by any means.
Robins manager Dennis Lightning said: "We were the better side up until they scored.
"It was disappointing to concede three set-piece goals and by the end, they could have had six or seven - we were just pushing and pushing.
"We are still going to try and get six points from our last two games and we would like to end the season on a high note."
Ely entertain Cornard on Satuday in their last home match of the season.