Robins End Season With Comfortable Win
ELY City signed off their season in style with a comfortable 3-1 win over play-off hopefuls Kirkley and Pakefield. The Robins have been on an unstoppable run in the second half of the season, winning 11 of their 19 games, and never looked out of control a
ELY City signed off their season in style with a comfortable 3-1 win over play-off hopefuls Kirkley and Pakefield.
The Robins have been on an unstoppable run in the second half of the season, winning 11 of their 19 games, and never looked out of control against fourth-placed Kirkley who struggled to keep pace with Denis Lightning's men.
The win ensured that City finish the season in ninth place, their best since being promoted into the Ridgeons Premier three seasons ago.
The visitors got off to a near perfect start when Richard Chadwick struck home with little more than 10 minutes of the first half gone.
You may also want to watch:
Ely took control after the breakthrough and managed a decisive second goal just before half-time when Chadwick again broke free to slot home.
Kirkley rallied in the second half and managed to pull a goal back through young striker Tarren Grint, but Ely showed no signs of flailing and managed to restore their two-goal advantage with just seconds left on the clock as Robbie Mason tapped home from a Jamie Allsop cross.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 9 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 10 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident