Robins downed by plucky Felixstowe
ELY City’s winless run stretched to four games on Tuesday night after they suffered a surprise reverse to Felixstowe.
The Robins look in confident mood after drawing level with United early in the second half but a breakaway goal checked their momentum and they failed to recover as their lowly opponents secured the points.
The loss, Ely’s third in four games, sees them slip to 17th place in the Ridgeons Premier with the visit of promotion hopefuls Norwich United to contend with on Saturday.
Returning striker Richard Chadwick had Ely’s opening chance with a glancing header from eight yards that was palmed away by the keeper but it was United took the lead in the 17th minute as a ball hit from deep caught Ely’s defenders napping and allowed Felixstowe to score.
Chadwick had a golden opportunity to level the scores just a minute later but blasted clear over the bar from 10 yards after a deep cross fell at his feet.
You may also want to watch:
A glancing header from a corner skimmed Lee Pacey’s right hand post as Felixstowe capitalised on a flurry of set pieces but it wasn’t until the hour mark that the ball was in the net again as a goal-mouth melee was turned in by Chadwick.
Ely continued to push forward in the aftermath of the goal and increasingly pegged the visitors in their own area but, somewhat against the run of play, Felixstowe took the lead once more as a darting run down the wing saw the ball crossed the edge of the area, allowing a striker time to fire a shot through a crowd of Ely defenders and into the goal.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 9 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k