Robins Come From Behind To Beat Stanway
ELY City made it four wins out of five with an impressive 2-1 win at home to promotion hopefuls Stanway Rovers. Denis Lightning s men have been in imperious form of late and hit top gear once again on Saturday as they came from behind to beat a resilient
ELY City made it four wins out of five with an impressive 2-1 win at home to promotion hopefuls Stanway Rovers.
Denis Lightning's men have been in imperious form of late and hit top gear once again on Saturday as they came from behind to beat a resilient Stanway side.
"We played really well and I think we were full value for the win. said Lightning, "we had a number of chances throughout and I think we dominated the game for large parts.
"The team are playing with confidence at the moment and hopefully we can continue that on until the end of the season."
You may also want to watch:
Despite continual pressure from Ely in the first half it was Stanway who took the lead after Ben Newson nodded home from a free-kick.
Ely equalised early on in the second-half through Chris Sterecki, who met a pinpoint cross from wide on the right to volley home at the near post.
- 1 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 2 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 6 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 7 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 10 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
The Robins had the lion's share of the play as the game progressed and finally found the breakthrough with just five minutes left on the clock as Simon Warren headed past a stranded keeper from a Lee Pacey freekick.
The win moves Ely up into 12th place in the Ridgeons Premier Division with the visit of Felixtowe on Tuesday their next challenge.
ARE ELY AN OUTSIDE CHANCE FOR PROMOTION?