Robins Bounce Back Against Walsham
ELY City shrugged off a poor display against CRC to secure a battling 2-2 draw at Walsham-leWillows on Saturday. Denis Lightning s men were soundly beaten 4-1 by the Cambridge United scholars last week but banished memories of the lacklustre defeat with a
ELY City shrugged off a poor display against CRC to secure a battling 2-2 draw at Walsham-leWillows on Saturday.
Denis Lightning's men were soundly beaten 4-1 by the Cambridge United scholars last week but banished memories of the lacklustre defeat with a finessed display that ultimately could have earned them all three points.
Boss Lightning, said: "Walsham have had some impressive wins at home this season, with both Leiston and CRC dropping points there so to go there and perform like we did was pleasing.
"We showed a lot of fight throughout the match and though things went against is a little at times we battled hard and I think by the end we trudged off disappointed that we didn't get all three points."
The Robins took the lead midway through the first-half as Robbie Mason smashed home a freekick from just outside the box to extend his tally for the season.
The Robins were pegged back a minute short of half-time though, as a scuffed shot from a Walsham player was fortuitously deflected home by an unsuspecting striker who was on his way back from an offside position.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 3 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 4 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 5 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 6 Ely Heroes winner, Alison, attends royal garden party after three-year wait
- 7 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 8 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 9 Princess Anne to visit Cambridgeshire next week
- 10 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
The goal was a blow to Lightning's team, but they refocused after half-time and took the lead once more as striker Scott Fielding opened his Ely account with a well placed header.
Captain Simon Warren could have extended the lead late on, but his powerful header crashed back off the bar. Minutes later, the visitors conceded a penalty and ultimately two points as Walsham made no mistake from the spot.