Rob does job in Vase clash
FA VASE SECOND QUALIFYING ROUND Stowmarket Town 0 Ely City 1 A ROBBIE Mason goal secured Ely s passage to the first round of the FA Vase. Ely were without influential centre-back Brady Stone, who injured knee ligaments in training in the week. And with Ga
FA VASE SECOND QUALIFYING ROUND
Stowmarket Town 0
Ely City 1
A ROBBIE Mason goal secured Ely's passage to the first round of the FA Vase.
You may also want to watch:
Ely were without influential centre-back Brady Stone, who injured knee ligaments in training in the week.
And with Gary Dewsbury also missing, they were forced to reorganise the defence - Tony Speed made his debut at right back, and Dean Blackman and Vinnie Long came in to play in the centre of defence.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 4 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 5 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 6 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 7 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 8 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 9 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 10 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
Mason hit a post with a 30-yard drive, then struck the bar from close range, before lobbing the goalkeeper to score in the 32nd minute.
Stowmarket, who beat Soham 4-1 in the FA Cup this season, stuck to their usual game plan of playing direct, physical football, but the new-look Ely defence, never looked threatened in the first half.
Ely looked by far the better of the sides for the majority of the second half.
The Robins stood firm in the final 10 minutes to resist a Stowmarket onslaught and prevented any clear-cut chances.
Ely manager Dennis Lightning said: "I don't recall our goalkeeper Tim Catley making a real save ... that's a remarkable achievement.
"Stowmarket is a tough place to go and get a result but we've put in a very professional performance."
Ely will play Ridgeons League Premier Division side Wisbech Town at home in the first round proper of the FA Vase on Saturday, October 7.
# The Robins' next match is at home to Saffron Walden, who are unbeaten in the league.