Ridgeons League results
Ridgeons League Gorleston 4 Ely City 2 THERE was a dramatic start and finish to last week s cup tie at Gorleston, but it was the Green s who came out on top to reach the last four of the Ridgeons League Cup. Simon Warren forced the ball home during a four
Gorleston 4 Ely City 2
THERE was a dramatic start and finish to last week's cup tie at Gorleston, but it was the Green's who came out on top to reach the last four of the Ridgeons League Cup.
Simon Warren forced the ball home during a fourth minute scramble, but Ely 'keeper Lee Pacey brought down Gary Todd three minutes later and - after receiving a caution - saw Gary Ingram's penalty fly past him for the equaliser.
You may also want to watch:
Ricci Butler then put the hosts in front after 10 minutes, and in the second half Ingram missed his second spot-kick chance before Todd swept in Gorleston's third goal with five minutes remaining.
Brady Stone glanced home Andy Chatters' near post cross to give City a lifeline in the 88th minute, but in the fifth minute of stoppage time Todd wrapped things up with Gorleston's fourth.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 5 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 6 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 7 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 8 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 9 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 10 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
Ely City 1 Great Yarmouth Town 0
A GOAL from substitute Andy Pettit earned Ely City three vital Ridgeons League First Division points at the expense of Great Yarmouth Town on Saturday.
Pettit replaced Mark Paul after 57 minutes, and struck the only goal of the game with just five minutes remaining.
Leaders Tiptree United meanwhile succeeded where the 'Robins' had failed a week earlier, comfortably taking all three points at Saffron Walden Town.
Tiptree's 3-0 win keeps them 13 points clear of City, who in turn are seven points clear of their nearest pursuers.