Ridgeons Football: Ely v Felixstowe and Walton United
Ridgeons Football League - Premier Division Felixstowe and Walton United 2 Ely City 0 ROBINS boss Dennis Lightning was disappointed that some of the best football we have played this season failed to produce either a goal or a point from this away enc
Ridgeons Football League - Premier Division
Felixstowe and Walton United 2 Ely City 0
ROBINS' boss Dennis Lightning was disappointed that "some of the best football we have played this season" failed to produce either a goal or a point from this away encounter with the Seasiders of Felixstowe and Walton United.
Ely went into the game with a much-changed line-up as normal centre half pairing Brady Stone and Ben Lawrence were both on the bench due to an ankle injury and impending marriage commitments, and usual strikers Robbie Mason and Richard Chadwick were both suspended.
The re-arranged City side played some lovely passing football though, and more than held their own against an in-form Felixstowe side, with Nick Impey going close for Ely in a goal-less first half. They only conceded after 65 minutes after a double substitution paid dividends for the home side as Ben Cranfield's shot cannoned off the bar 20 feet in the air and somewhat fortuitously landed on newly-introduced substitute Keith Hetherington's head and into the net.
This was rough justice for an Ely side that Lightning said: "Competed superbly as a unit" and worse luck was to come as two minutes from time, the other Felixstowe sub, Allicion Blake, who volleyed in from a Martin Calver cross to claim all three points.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 3 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 4 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 5 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 6 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 7 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 8 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 9 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 10 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
The Robins will take heart from a good performance against a side that is now in sixth position in the table and has gone seven games unbeaten.
Lightning hopes to have key defender Stone fit for the Saturday game at home to Woodbridge and the big local derby game away to Mildenhall on Easter Monday, Kick Off 3pm.