Revenge so sweet for Parker

SENIOR DIVISION B SOHAM United claimed their third league win in four outings on Saturday, avenging an early-season reverse against fast-fading Milton. It was awesome, said United manager Andy Parker after watching his side s 5-0 victory. After the fi


SOHAM United claimed their third league win in four outings on Saturday, avenging an early-season reverse against fast-fading Milton.

"It was awesome," said United manager Andy Parker after watching his side's 5-0 victory. "After the first 15 minutes the result was never in any doubt. We simply tore them apart."

Soham's young goalkeeper Jamie D'Arcy had to make a couple of decent saves in the opening quarter-of-an-hour, but his side dominated proceedings thereafter and could easily have scored more than five.

Dan Simmons opened the scoring after great build-up play by Jason Parker, Mark Allen and Steve Dalby, and Shane Fretwell made it 2-0 after a one-two with Dalby.

Chris Lam helped a right-wing cross over the line to make the interval score 3-0, and a header from Dave Montoya made the points safe at the start of the second half.

Most Read

Dalby and Parker then combined for Simmons to set up Lam for goal number five.

So what has changed since Milton beat United 3-0 at home just two months ago?

"We've improved," came the firm reply from boss Parker.

"We've come on leaps and bounds, and no team would enjoy playing us now."

He remains proud of his developing youngsters. "We're just growing up," he said, adding: "It gives me a lot of pride."


FORDHAM remain in the bottom three after a disappointing home defeat to Cambridge University Press.

They were impressive during the first half-an-hour, but just couldn't find the net and then trailed to a breakaway goal.

Press added another one soon afterwards, but Fordham responded with a well-worked effort of their own.

Spike Murkin and Ben Fuller were at the heart of the move, Dan Langley eventually heading the ball down for Daren Pryke to score from 12 yards.

The visitors made it 3-1 before the interval however, and they added a fourth goal before Pryke's grabbed a consolation towards the finish.

"It was better than it looked," said Fordham secretary John Pryke in the aftermath. "We just need more bodies; it would be nice to have a full side and three substitutes for once."


SOHAM Town Rangers Reserves moved up to fifth spot after claiming their sixth league win in a row at the expense of Hemingfords United.

The home side led midway through the first half, but Jonathan Brown equalised before the break and Alex Irvine's neat lob put Soham in front shortly afterwards.

Rangers held on in difficult conditions thereafter, eventually running out 2-1 winners.


SUTTON United are up to second in the table after winning 4-0 against Isleham United.

Matthew Keys put the visitors in front, and Isleham had a player sent off for retaliation as they still trailed 1-0 at the midway stage.

Keys struck again with 25 minutes remaining, and he then completed his hat-trick before Russell Mansfield wrapped things up following a slick passing move.

The gulf between the two sides is evident by virtue of their respective league positions, but Isleham's goalkeeper prevented a worse beating.

The Vine gave a solid performance as they saw off Pymoor FC 2-0 at home.

Karl Spencer opened the scoring after the interval, and Jon Cutter added a second goal to secure the points.

Wez Hilditch, Stuart Barbour and Jez Cutter were on top of their game in midfield, while at the back Neil Hammish and Davey Arnold were instrumental in preventing the visitors from scoring.


MEPAL Sports entertained Ely Crusaders after a change of venue, but both teams lost ground on the leaders following a 1-1 draw.

Giles Peacock put Mepal ahead after 24 minutes, but Crusaders got back on terms when Micky Warren's deep cross fell behind the Mepal defence and Luke Schunmann steered the ball home from six yards.

Soham United Reserves lost 4-0 at home to leaders Lakenheath Reserves, but the visitors were slightly flattered by their margin of victory.


FENSTANTON Reserves suffered their first league defeat of the campaign as The Vine Reserves plundered a 3-1 win away from home.

Dan Cowley opened The Vine's account in the first minute of the second half, and further goals from Justin Challis and Craig Finbow sealed the win.

The same scoreline however, saw Wicken Amateurs lose at Barton Mills Reserves.

Nathan Sheriff crossed for Jamie Palmer to head low into the corner at the start of the second half, but the Amateurs trailed 2-0 at the time and soon conceded another.

Burwell Swifts also lost despite leading twice at home to Hemingfords United A.

David Fordham's scrambled opener was soon eradicated, but Nathan Hull made it 2-2 and ­Fordham struck again to put Burwell 3-2 ahead at the midway stage.

Hemingfords scored three times to lead 5-3, however, and Lawrence Maskell's late effort failed to prevent Burwell's first league defeat of the season.


EARITH United battered Burwell Swifts in the first half of Saturday's encounter, but had to wait until the second period before breaking the deadlock.

Three goals in four minutes saw a Tom Thatcher effort sandwiched by two strikes from the hosts, and there were no further breakthroughs as Earith ran out 2-1 winners.


QPR Ely were the only local side in action on Sunday, winning their Division 2A encounter with YMCA Cambridge 5-1.