Results will come, says Soham Town Rangers boss Robbie Mason following Phoenix Sports defeat
- Credit: Archant
Soham Town Rangers boss Robbie Mason says it is only a matter of time until his side click into form.
The Greens missed a penalty and then were punished from the spot themselves in their 1-0 defeat to Phoenix Sports on Saturday, but Mason says he has full confidence in his squad – and a positive result is just around the corner.
“The lads are confident and are playing some great football and I’m sure the results will come,” he said.
“We’re doing everything right in the build-up but we’re not taking our chances and that’s been the case too many times this season.
“We need to stop letting the silly goals in and once we do that I’m sure we’ll hammer someone.”
Luke Brown was guilty of spurning Soham’s biggest chance when he missed from the spot in the second half against Phoenix, and Mason says his men must be more ruthless in front of goal if they are to hoist themselves clear of the relegation zone.
“We lost the game ourselves,” Mason said.
- 1 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 2 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 3 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 4 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 5 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 6 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
- 7 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 8 ‘If it wasn’t for NICU I possibly wouldn’t be here today’ - Darren fundraising for Addenbrooke's
- 9 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 10 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
“We had so many chances and missed them and then they scored with their only shot.
“It was a good game to watch; we played ever so well but just missed our chances and that cost us.
“Before the game I sat down with the lads and looked over the games since I took over and we said the only game we didn’t deserve anything from was the Bury Town game.
“We’re in a bad run at the minute but we need to stay strong and I believe the squad is in a false position
“I look at the squad and think ‘how are we in contention for relegation?’ because of the players we’ve got here.”
Mason has also admitted that he has settled into life in the Soham hot-seat – and has set his sights on bringing in some new recruits at Julius Martin Lane.
“I’m feeling a bit more managerial, if you want to put it that way,” he said.
“It’s been nice to be able to take a step back from playing, and it’s nice to get up the morning after a game and be able to walk!
“The squad is looking good at the minute, but I’d like to bring in another centre-half and a striker, as Luke Brown is heading back to America at the end of the month.”
Soham welcome third-placed Brightlingsea Regent this Saturday (3pm).