Rejuvinated Ely gunning for third straight win

Alan Alsop

Alan Alsop - Credit: Archant

Football Ely City boss Alan Alsop says back-to-back wins has seen confidence come flooding back into his side.

The Robins were at their lowest ebb when they lost 4-1 to lower-league Foxton in the Cambridgeshire Invitation Cup back in October and 11 defeats in 15 in the league saw them slip perilously close to the drop zone.

But, a 4-2 win over Saffron Walden in the Red Insurance Cup restored some confidence to the team and they followed it up on Saturday with a 3-2 win at Thetford Town.

Now, with Walsham-le-Willows due to visit the Unwin Ground on Saturday, Alsop is confident his team can carry their momentum on and pick up a third win on the spin.

He said: “They are starting to play with confidence now and that leads to wins which is what we have seen in the last couple of games. What we have to do now is carry that on and not let the silly mistakes creep back in.

“Walsham are a funny side, they are a bit up and down. They have some great players in their squad and are capable of beating any team on their day. If we can play the way we have been in our last couple of games we will give them a run for their money.”

Alsop also praised the efforts of new signings Tom Meecham and Max Roberts, both from St Ives, who, he said, have helped the Robins turn things around in the last couple of games.

Most Read

City’s win over Thetford lifted them up into 16th in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division and gave them their first back-to-back victories of the season.

Though City were in control for long periods in the first half at Thetford, the score remained goalless going in at half-time.

Their luck finally turned 10 minutes after the interval, though, as Adam Murray mopped up from close range after Lewis Whitehead whipped in a cross from the left.

Old habits appeared to creep back in when Thetford were able to take advantage of some poor defending to equalise shortly after the hour mark but new signing Tom Meecham was on hand to score his third in two games for the club just a few minutes later.

And Meecham was on target again in the 70th minute as he latched onto Whitehead’s pinpoint cross from the left to make it 3-1.

Thetford were awarded a penalty in the dying minutes to give them hope of a point, but Ely held firm into injury time to take the win.