Records tumble at Ely Archers’ annual competition
- Credit: Archant
Archery The sixth annual Ely Archers Portsmouth Competition was held at the weekend, with archers from across the region and beyond coming to take part.
In the recurve bow class, the men’s title for both single and double rounds was taken by Great Britain Nationals silver medallist Michael Judd.
He scored a tremendous competition record of 588 out of 600 maximum for his first round and a combined score of 1,172 for the double.
Tak Ho, from the Cambridge University Bowmen, came in second with a personal best of 579. In the ladies recurve competition, the Netherhall Archers pair of Jenny Allcock (547) and Sarah Austin (541) took gold and silver, with third place Maryia Karpiyevich (528), of Cambridge University, leaving the best till last and scoring a 555 in her second round to take the double title with 1,083.
In the gents unlimited compound bow class, Sean Fox (580), of OOBArchery Club, pipped Jonas Serna, of the Euston Park Bowmen, (578). Lesley Brown (Clophill AC) comprehensively beat the rest of the field with an excellent 578 in the ladies unlimited compound.
You may also want to watch:
In the Barebow competitions there were wins for Phillipe Masters (541) and Ely Archers own Maggie Johnson (467).
In the juniors, there were notable victories for Clophills Nat Cook (541) in the compound unlimited and Rhys Jones (Kings Lynn Bowmen) shot a respectable 533 to take gold in the junior gents recurve.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 7 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 8 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 9 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
- 10 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely