Record entries take part in Ely’s traithlon event
A RECORD-breaking number of competitors took part in the fifth annual Ely Triathlon and Aquathlon earlier this month.
Held on the King’s School campus, and organised by Ely Tri Club, 129 adults and eight teams took part in the triathlon and 48 children in the aquathlon.
The Triathlon consisted of a 300m swim, followed by a 20km cycle and then a rather challenging 5km run, while the Aquathlon was a 100m swim, followed by a 800m run.
The competitors were cheered along by marshals along the route and the large crowd of spectators at the finish. The first male to finish the triathlon was Shane Norval (Cambridge Cycle Club) in 58mins 48 secs and the first female to finish the race was Stephanie Robson (Club Hercules Wimbledon AC) in 1hr 8 mins and 52 secs.
The first team finishers were Ely Tri Club members, Neil Griffiths, Jay Woods and Lisa Redman in 1hr 7mins and 50 secs.
You may also want to watch:
The children were divided into three age categories for the aquathlon, 9-11, 12-13 and 14-15-years old. In the age category, 9-11 years old, first places went to Francesca Jackman and Louis Cook, second places to Lucy Lott and William Haylett, and third places to Lara Barrett and Vladislav Kulish.
For the 12-13 years old, first places went to Rebecca Daniel and George Sporle, second places to Amelia Darnell and Joseph Alsop, and third places to Evie Jackson and William Topping.
- 1 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 4 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 5 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 6 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 7 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 8 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 9 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 10 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
Finally, in the age category, 14-15 year old girls, Payton Chalmers claimed first place and, for the boys, first place went to James Austen, second place to Harry McWilliam and third place to Billy Jackson.