Record-breaking runners hit the road in East Cambridgeshire at Monster Racing Duathlon
- Credit: Archant
A record number of athletes hit the road in a ‘monster’ race last weekend.
The Monster Racing Duathlon saw 130 entrants – the highest number to date – tackle a 5km race through East Cambridgeshire before hopping onto their bikes for a 25km sprint through the Fens.
The brave athletes then ditched their bikes and headed for the finish on foot, with Graham Rands of the GMFRS Tri Club taking overall honours with a time of one hour, 17 minutes and 13 seconds.
There was success for a local runner – Alex Metcalfe of the Ely Runners crossed the line in third overall with an impressive time of one hour, 18 minutes and one second.
The women’s race was won by Hannah Bye (UEA Triathlon Club) in a time of one hour, 26 minutes and 38 seconds, taking 10 minutes off her 2016 time that saw her place third last year.
You may also want to watch:
All podium finishers won vouchers donated by lead sponsor Zone3 and two lucky racers were chosen at random as they crossed the finish line to take home a pair of Alphawoolf trainers and a Sixty4 sports bra, courtesy of Fenlend Runner.
A Monster Racing spokesman said: “For those wanting to test how successful their winter training has been, the Duathlon is perfectly timed.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 5 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 6 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 7 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 8 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 9 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 10 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
“Athletes can see what has worked well and not so well, allowing them to tweak their training program for a successful race season.
“It was great to see the event sell out this year and attract the most entrants to date. As with all our events we saw some familiar faces returned which is great.
“This small but friendly event has a great atmosphere and attracts a mixed field, from first timers to pro athletes.”
East Cambs clubs (Ely Tri Club, Ely & District Cycling Club and Ely Runners) results: Alex Metcalfe, (ER) 01:18:01, Adam Gould (ETC) 01:33:11, Doug Wylie (ETC) 01:41:40, Lauren Thomas (ER) 01:42:30, Tony Kirby-Cook (ER) 01:47:24, Andrew Thompson (ER) 01:50:24, Nadia Baker (ETC) 01:51:01, Ross Bailey (ETC) 01:52:25, Michael Burrell (E&DCC) 01:52:58, Jacqui Baldwin (ER) 01:53:18, Andrea Ballantine (ETC) 02:07:44, Claire Geary (ER) 02:08:15, and Lara Edwards (ETC) 02:15:59.