Rbins are reliant n teamwrk
Ely City 2 Tiptree United 1 ELY remain five pints clear f third-placed Diss Twn after a dramatic victry against runaway leaders Tiptree n Saturday. This was Tiptree s secnd successive league defeat, but they remain nine pints clear f City and stil
Ely City 2 Tiptree United 1
ELY remain five pints clear f third-placed Diss Twn after a dramatic victry against runaway leaders Tiptree n Saturday.
This was Tiptree's secnd successive league defeat, but they remain nine pints clear f City and still have games in hand.
Tiptree's began with leading screr Tm English n the bench, but earned a ninth minute penalty when Lewin Ward was brught dwn in the bx.
Lee Owen placed his sht t the right f Lee Pacey, but the Ely galkeeper guessed right and parried the sht away frm danger.
Dave Smith fund himself unmarked n the edge f Tiptree's six-yard bx in the 18th minute, but his header failed t truble the Tiptree 'keeper.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 3 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 4 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 5 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 6 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 7 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 8 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 9 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 10 Corporal lines up world record 135km paddleboard trek for 'gleaming' Bobby
Tiptree's trubles began when Lee Owen was yellw-carded fr dissent midway thrugh the first half, because a minute later he was red-carded fr a secnd bkable ffence.
Twards the end f the first half bth Richard Manning (Tiptree) and Smith (Ely) were cautined fr an ff-the-ball incident.
The visitrs intrduced striker English at the start f the secnd half, and nly fur minutes had elapsed when he ndded hme Jamie Anlick's crss frm the left.
Pacey then denied Gary Wraight's chip with a brilliant fingertip save, and Ely's frustratin began t shw as bth Rbbie Masn and Tm Pell were cautined.
Tiptree lked increasingly in cntrl at this stage, but with eight minutes remaining Mark Jhnstn cllected a crssfield ball as Ely brke quickly frm defence and his crss was headed past galkeeper Jamie Nunan by the unmarked Ian Edge.
Jhnstn then missed a chance t add number three frm Neil Shade's under-hit back pass, firing wide f the pst.
"It wasn't a great ftball match," said Ely bss Dennis Lightning, "but we did what we had t d and gt the three pints. We built the side arund players we knew wuld rll their sleeves up and battle."
Ely were due t hst Whittn United in the re-scheduled First Divisin Knck-Out Cup semi-final n Tuesday night, and n Saturday face anther difficult match at Grlestn, wh desperately need t win t keep themselves in the prmtin hunt.