Rare defeat as Tigers winning streak is ended
- Credit: Archant
Rugby Crusaders 8 Ely 5
A five-game winning streak came to an abrupt end for Ely on Saturday as they went down to a narrow defeat at Crusaders.
In a fiercely contested match, it was Ely who took the lead, but they failed to push on and were eventually hauled back by the hosts, who scored a second-half try to take the win.
Defeat didn’t threaten Ely’s grip on second place in the Eastern Counties Division 1, however, and they remain 10 points ahead of nearest rivals Newmarket.
The in-form Tigers scored mid-way through the first half but failed to add the conversion.
You may also want to watch:
The hosts kept the Ely attack contained thereafter and managed to pull some points back in the run up to half-time, with a penalty converted by Tristan Smith.
Crusaders carried their momentum into the second half and Ely’s defence stood firm, repelling a series of attacks.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Man found dead in March
- 6 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 7 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 8 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 9 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 10 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
A missed penalty saw Crusaders squander a chance to move ahead but there was to be no mistake as the match headed towards its climax, with Robert Loone scoring the winning try from the back of a scrum.
Ely quickly redoubled their efforts in a bid to regain the initiative but they were held up just short of the line on numerous occasions as Crusaders held out for the win.