Rangers Leave It Late To Salvage Draw
A LATE goal from Dubi Ogbonna salvaged a 2-2 draw for Soham Town Rangers in a testing FA Trophy matchup against Harrow Borough at the weekend. The Greens looked to be heading for an unceremonious exit from the competition with just two minutes left of the
A LATE goal from Dubi Ogbonna salvaged a 2-2 draw for Soham Town Rangers in a testing FA Trophy matchup against Harrow Borough at the weekend.
The Greens looked to be heading for an unceremonious exit from the competition with just two minutes left of the match until Ogbonna's timely intervention earned the home side a draw and forced a replay on Tuesday evening.
Starting brightly against their Ryman League opposition, Soham forged a plethora of early openings with Callum Reed and Charles Libam both going close.
The rewards for their early effort came just short of the 30-minute mark as Michael Simpson surged into the Borough box only to be upended with the goal at his mercy.
Libam dispatched the resulting penalty and Soham surged forward in the following minutes, desperate to stretch the lead.
Despite a number of good opportunities, the Greens were unable to double their lead and were pegged back minutes short of the half as Paul Jones was adjudged to have handled the ball in the box, affording the visitors a penalty of their own.
- 1 Pastor in freedom of speech and job fight over Pride tweet
- 2 Two food businesses closed after cockroach infestations found
- 3 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 4 Missing woman back home
- 5 Petition launched to save village pub
- 6 Pub company comes out fighting to keep controversial cuppa sign
- 7 College pupils bring School of Rock to life on stage
- 8 Father accused of baby daughter's murder gave her squash, court told
- 9 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
- 10 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
After the break, both teams threw caution to the win in a bid to steal a decisive lead with Scott Carter going close for the home side.
It was Harrow who would take the lead however, as Wayne Walters nodded home powerfully after stealing a march on the home defence.
Soham were not to be outdone though, and, with a little help from keeper Jamie Chamberlain, who helped keep Soham in the match with a string of superb saves, they pulled level with two minutes remaining.
The replay will take place on Tuesday evening (Oct 20) at Harrow Borough.