Rangers cling on for important win
Soham Town Rangers 1 Redbridge 0
SOHAM boss Andy Furnell is confident his side will push on into the new year after they picked up much-needed win against Redbridge on Tuesday night.
Defender Andy Coleman headed home a rare goal shortly before half-time to hand the Greens all three points, their first win and clean sheet since October.
The win moved Soham six points clear of the relegation zone and boss Furnell believes his side may have turned a corner.
“It was a massive win and hopefully a big boost for our confidence to take us into the new year. We could have been three or four up and I hope people see that it was a real battling performance,” said Furnell.
You may also want to watch:
“The lads are buzzing to get going again and that is the way it should be.”
From the outset, Soham’s intensity gave them the edge over their sluggish opponents and the home side were unlucky not to force a breakthrough early on as Scott Carter and Aaron Wickham both spurned decent chances.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 10 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
Michael Simpson’s powerful header slipped narrowly wide shortly after the 20-minute mark and Dubi Ogbonna’s run and shot sailed over as Soham began to dominate proceedings.
The breakthrough finally game with five minutes to play in the half as a free-kick from wide on the left was headed across goal from Michael Simpson and into the path of Coleman, who finished well from close range.
Wickham saw a snap shot leak wide early in the second half as Soham went in search of a second goal and Ogbonna drew a superb save from the visiting keeper with a shot from point blank range.
As the half wore on however, Redbridge finally clicked into gear and enjoyed their best spell of the match.
A curling volley shaved a layer of paint off the post and Dan Bircham was called on to make two outstanding saves to keep the home side in front.
The visitors also had a goal ruled out in injury time for offside as Soham clung on for the win.