Promotion Hopes Scuppered By Loss
LATE goals for visitors Spalding consigned Ely 3s to a disappointing 6-4 loss that scuppered their chances of promotion to Division 5NW. In a game that saw several swings of momentum and exchanged leads, it was Spalding who eventually came out on top as t
LATE goals for visitors Spalding consigned Ely 3s to a disappointing 6-4 loss that scuppered their chances of promotion to Division 5NW.
In a game that saw several swings of momentum and exchanged leads, it was Spalding who eventually came out on top as they made the most of some late penalty corners to take victory.
Ely's bid for promotion was also damaged by the news that close rivals Market Deeping 3 had secured a narrow 5-4 victory over March Town to secure their promotion.
Though the eventual outcome was bad for the home side, they did start the game with every intention of overcoming their opponents with some irrepressible and tenacious play.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors were clearly taken aback by the pace of Ely's attack and they largely failed to deal with the threat, leading to the opening goal after just five minutes as the ball was smashed low across goal.
Spalding soon muscled their way back into the game though, and drew level after 15 minutes following a period of play largely dominated by the apocalyptic deluges of hail and rain.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 9 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
With the scores level both sides went in search of the lead and the remainder of the half was typified by much to-ing and fro-ing between respective attacks which saw another goal a piece bring the scores to 2-2 at the half.
Ely once again made the most of Spalding's early half slumbers and re-took the lead in cavalier style with a team charge seeing the ball swept into space and fired into the net.
The visitors were once again on hand to dent any early hopes of victory though, and they made it 3-3 after 15 minutes of the half as Ely were caught napping in defence. Minutes later Spalding took the lead for the first time in the game as a concerted attacking drive saw them squirm the ball home.
Though a frenzied Ely attack brought them level mere minutes later they were powerless to stop Spalding notching up two further goals in the dying minutes as they took advantage of a stretched home defence to secure the win.