Price sets red-hot pace in time trial
CYCLISTS from Ely and District Cycling Club competed in the Tuesday evening time trials held in Witcham and Mepal last week. Top British rider Ben Price set an unbeatable time of 17:37 and Alan Newark covered the eight-mile course in an impressive 18:23.
CYCLISTS from Ely and District Cycling Club competed in the Tuesday evening time trials held in Witcham and Mepal last week.
Top British rider Ben Price set an unbeatable time of 17:37 and Alan Newark covered the eight-mile course in an impressive 18:23.
The event served as useful training for Price, who won his last race at Ford's Dunton test track and was back in action with Rapha Condor team-mate Dean Downing for the Premier Crit Championships at the weekend.
Back from a short stint off the bike, Steve Presland eased back into the saddle with 19:21 but he didn't reckon on the growing strength of rising star Tom Sykes, who matched Presland's effort to the second and grabbed a share of third place.
Massive efforts from Geoff Brewster and Philip Peacock saw them chasing down the leaders with Gordon Hollingsworth, Andy Stephen also making it under the 21-minute mark.
A cluster of very close times highlighted the gutsy performances of all competitors including new face Danny Reynolds whose first effort of 23:45 made an impression and showed some real dedication out on the road.
- 1 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 2 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 3 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 4 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 5 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
- 6 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 7 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 8 ‘If it wasn’t for NICU I possibly wouldn’t be here today’ - Darren fundraising for Addenbrooke's
- 9 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 10 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
Years of road racing experience were put to good use by Eddie Green and Ray Jolly, who both showed the younger riders that they can still turn on the power when they need to.
Both riders flew back to the time keepers with 23:48 and 24:25, respectively. Ben Stephen really started to show progress with a super 25:25 to continue his ascent up the leaderboard.
Mother and daughter Sharon and Katie Dunkley were back in action and both turning out splendid displays of determination over the technical circuit. Sharon recorded 29:22 while Katie crossed the line in 30:22.
The next event for the club will be the 10-mile Kempton Cup, on Wednesday. The race is open to anyone but only club members will qualify for the trophy.
Riders should meet around 15 minutes before the official start time of 7pm at the Elean Industrial Park, Sutton.
For more information visit www.elycyclingclub.com or call Marc Cox on 01223 263862.
Results: Four-mile circuit solo, two laps: 1 Ben Price 17.37, 2 Alan Newark 18.23, 3= Tom Sykes 19.21, 3= Steve Presland 19.21, 5 Geoff Brewster 19.39, 6 Philip Peacock 19.41, 7 Gordon Hollingsworth 20.25, 8 Andy Stephen 20.46, 9 James Robson 21.03, 10 Tim Downs 21.28, 11 Ben Loaker 21.47, 12 John Jermy 22.39, 13 Danny Reynolds 23.45, 14 Eddie Green 23.48, 15 Ray Jolly 24.25, 16 Mark Huggins 24.40, 17 Ben Stephen 25.25, 18 Nigel Sawtell 25.52, 19 Sharon Dunkley 29.22, 20 Katie Dunkley 30.00.