President’s Day at Ely City Hockey Club
ELY City Hockey Club’s annual President’s Day held at the weekend brought together players young and old to raise money for the charity Diabetes UK.
The day started with a ‘dads and mums versus sons and daughters’ hockey match which provided much amusement as parents were put through their paces and shown some real skills by the Ely juniors.
All the children had the chance to play both for and against their parents so there was some great bonding as well as some serious competition.
The second game of the day was the ladies over 30s against the ladies under 30s, with the resulting victory for the older ladies showing that there is no substitute for experience.
The last game of the day was a men’s game between the President’s XI and a team of ex-Ely players from both the local area and around the world. A very open game saw the President’s team ease to a 4–2 win. Funds raised on the day totalled �425.
You may also want to watch:
Club president, Trevor Hopkinson, said: “What a wonderful day of sport we have had together, for a very deserving charity. I feel honoured that so many players turned up to play and to watch.”
If you are interested in playing hockey for Ely visit the website: www.elycityhockeyclub.clubbuzz.co.uk.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 5 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
- 10 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'