’Port off to winning start with impressive display

FOOTBALL?ROUND-UP By Steve Green Kershaw League Premier Division LITTLEPORT Town made an impressive start to the season, beating Cottenham United 3-0 at home with goals from Sean Ambrose, David Cullum junior and Nigel Smith. Ambrose fired home with the ou


By Steve Green

Kershaw League

Premier Division

You may also want to watch:

LITTLEPORT Town made an impressive start to the season, beating Cottenham United 3-0 at home with goals from Sean Ambrose, David Cullum junior and Nigel Smith.

Ambrose fired home with the outside of his foot after Kevin Hills had pulled the ball back to him in the 25th minute, but 'Port had to be satisfied with a slender 1-0 advantage at the interval.

Most Read

"We should have been three or four goals up at half-time," said boss Dave Cullum afterwards, adding: "The only slight criticism I have was that we should have scored more."

David Cullum junior eventually added a delightful second in the 65th minute. Chesting the ball down 35 yards from goal, he flicked the ball over an opponent before unleashing a tremendous half-volley into the top corner of the net.

Then with 10 minutes remaining, the manager's son combined with substitute Smith for a decisive third goal, Smith eventually converting Cullum's cross from point-blank range.

"It was satisfying to see the whole team play well at the same time," concluded the manager.

Fordham meanwhile opened their programme at home to Wickhambrook, eventually going down by the only goal of the game.

"It was a typical early-season match," said Fordham secretary John Pryke afterwards. "Lots of hard work, but not much happening at either end."

Unfortunately for Fordham, the visitors struck with five minutes remaining, and although Ben Howe powered in a header with seconds left, his effort was ruled out for pushing.

Last season's Senior A champions Ely City Reserves led twice in their opening clash with Histon A, but then had to come from behind to earn a 3-3 draw.

Steve Pollard and Liam Hart twice put them in front during the opening 45 minutes, but the teams were level at 2-2 when the half-time whistle sounded.

Histon then took the initiative in what was a very open match, but with 10 minutes remaining, Pollard's shot squirmed underneath the goalkeeper to rescue a point.

Senior Division B

SOHAM United and Littleport Town Reserves both made winning starts to their respective campaigns.

Soham manager Andy Parker said that he was "chuffed to bits" after watching his side record a 5-3 success at West Row Gunners.

"They (West Row) are a big, physical, strong side, but I think they'll struggle. We may be down there with them, but the potential is there for us."

Parker's team - packed with teenagers - took the lead when Dan Simmons grabbed his first-ever goal for the first team.

Mark Allen then doubled the advantage when his terrific lob ended a fine move, but Soham then looked panicky as they allowed their hosts back into the game.

Seventeen-year old goalkeeper Jamie D'Arcey gave away a penalty and was grateful to see the resulting 12-yard effort clear the bar.

West Row did manage to pull a goal back just before half-time, but United restored their two-goal cushion immediately after the break when Ben Brown volleyed in at the far post to make it 3-1.

The home side reduced the deficit once again, but substitute David Holmes scored with his first touch of the ball and Allen effectively wrapped up the points with his second goal of the game.

The Gunners managed a late consolation, but Soham had already done more than enough to clinch the points at that stage.

Littleport Town Reserves - promoted from Division 1B last season - remained disciplined throughout as they faced a physical onslaught in the opener at Outwell Swifts.

'Port looked the more dangerous side, and established a first-half advantage when Clive Lee volleyed home from inside the six-yard box after 25 minutes.

Outwell equalised with a fine header at the start of the second period, but within five minutes, Jordan Lenham's throw-in was volleyed over the 'keeper by Lee to make it 2-1.

Then, on the hour, Lenham's flicked header hit the post and Jason Walker followed up to score Littleport's third.

New signing Jamie Linney hit the bar soon afterwards, but there were no further goals and 'Port ran out 3-1 winners.

Haddenham Rovers travelled to Swavesey Institute in their opening fixture, with the sides sharing six goals in an entertaining affair.

Will Ludbrooke twice set up Kenny Holmes to score as Rovers established a two-goal lead after 35 minutes, but Swavesey responded to level the scores before the break.

Holmes then turned provider as Ludbrooke put Haddenham ahead once more in the second half, but the hosts equalised again to earn a share of the spoils.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter