Port back to winning ways

LITTLEPORT brought an end to their lamentable league run with a 2-1 victory over Brampton on Saturday.


Littleport Town 2

Brampton 1

Port came into the game on the back of a five-match run without a win but managed to stop the rot with a polished performance over strugglers Brampton, Martin Grey and Kevin Hills bagging the goals for Port.

The win sees Dave Cullum’s side move up into 10th place in the Kershaw Premier League, but they will have to do it all again on Saturday when they welcome Brampton to the Leisure Centre Ground once more for a league cup clash.

Liam Hart created the first real opening of the match for Port as he sprung the offside trap and squared into the Brampton box, only for the ball to be wastefully sliced wide from 10 yards out.

Most Read

It was a carbon copy effort just five minutes later that brought the opening goal however, as Hart once more marauded down the right flank and squared for Martin Grey, who made no mistake to put the home side ahead.

Decent strikes from Hart and David Cornwell in the aftermath of the goal kept the Brampton goalkeeper on alert.

Brampton continued to enjoy some decent spells of possession throughout the opening spell but were unable to find the telling killer pass as they reached the final third.

Cornwell went closer still for Port with half-an-hour gone as he was played through one-on-one but he saw his shot well saved as the hosts continued to cut Brampton apart.

Michael Emms brought yet another cracking save from the visitors’ keeper as his snap shot from the edge of the area was tipped over the bar when it looked to be dropping in.

Brampton’s first chance of note came with about 10 minutes remaining as Leigh Follen was called upon to make a diving save after a shot from distance.

Neil Cullum was sent through one-on-one again for the hosts 10 minutes into the second half but his half-volleyed attempt was too close to the keeper, who made a comfortable save.

Brampton broke forward from Cullum’s attempt and were just inches away from an equaliser as a striker smashed a crossed ball against the bar from 10 yards, with the follow up header sent over the bar.

Brampton continued to pressure in the ensuing minutes but were unable to better that chance, falling two goals behind after 75 minutes as Kevin Hills broke a tackle and slotted past the goalkeeper from close range.

Port saw a shot cleared off the line and the visitors spurned another good chance from close range before they pulled a goal back deep into injury time, a long ball forward picked up by substitute Bradley Chapman who finished well.