FOOTBALL: England debut for Nick Pope ahead of World Cup
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Nick Pope made his England international debut on the eve of the World Cup.
The Wicken-born goalkeeper was sent on as a second-half substitute during the 2-0 friendly success against Costa Rica last Thursday.
Pope played the final 25 minutes of England’s final warm-up match at Elland Road, in Leeds and was thrilled to represent his country.
He said: “I’m immensely proud and privileged to make my England debut.
“I was given the heads-up the previous night that I would play some part in the game and that helped me to prepare myself mentally.
You may also want to watch:
“I was happy with what I did. It’s important to show confidence to the players in front of you as a goalkeeper.”
Pope will battle with Everton ace Jordan Pickford and Stoke man Jack Butland to be his country’s number one at the World Cup. England face Tunisia (Monday), Panama (June 24) and Begium (June 28) in their three Group G games in Russia.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor
- 10 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
A first international appearance provided another fantastic moment in the remarkable rise of a shot-stopper who was released by Championship club Ipswich Town a decade ago at the age of 16.
Pope briefly dropped into non-league football before returning to the professional game with Charlton Athletic, but it was only last season that his career really took off when starring for Burnley in the Premier League.
Pope is also being linked with a big-money transfer to Champions League runners-up Liverpool this summer.