Poerlifting: Power and the glory
An Ely-based powerlifter broke four British records in his first competition. Jared Fortin squatted 180kg, bench-pressed 112.5kg and dead-lifted 186kg to become the British champion for the under-18 125kg category at the East Midlands Powerlifting Champio
An Ely-based powerlifter broke four British records in his first competition.
Jared Fortin squatted 180kg, bench-pressed 112.5kg and dead-lifted 186kg to become the British champion for the under-18 125kg category at the East Midlands Powerlifting Championships, in Colchester, on Sunday.
Fortin, 18, broke the British record for his age and weight in each category and his overall lift, 478.5kg, was also a record.
Fortin, who was born in Canada and trains regularly at Ely's West End Fitness Centre, said: "I'm still not in the best shape and I was a bit shaky and apprehensive with this being my first competition.
"I will become stronger and will break all of the records again later this year."
n Fortin is pictured on the way to a British record in the deadlift.
- 1 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 2 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 3 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 4 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 5 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
- 6 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 7 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 8 ‘If it wasn’t for NICU I possibly wouldn’t be here today’ - Darren fundraising for Addenbrooke's
- 9 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 10 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen