Players celebrate landmark season for club
- Credit: Archant
Table Tennis There was plenty to celebrate at Ely Table Tennis Club this week as members looked back on a successful season.
Rob Pownall, Greg Ozog and Karen Byford enjoyed an unbeaten season in the Ely and District Third Division, helping win promotion for next term.
Meanwhile, Andrew Maguire, the club’s first team captain, capped a strong season by winning a Berlin Open Tournament event against some talented local competition.
Andrew also won the veteran’s singles event in the league’s Closed Tournament held in February.
Club chairman, Howard Middleton, said: “Andrew’s achievement in winning the Berlin Open Tournament is nothing short of exceptional. It is a testimony to his dedicated work and support of our club over many years.
You may also want to watch:
“Our club overall has grown much in stature and experience over the past 12 months. Two new teams have been successfully introduced into the Ely League, with further growth, including the Cambridge League, expected for next season.”
Club secretary, Karen Byford, added: “We still welcome new, experienced players to our ranks ahead of the next season, starting in September.”
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
Anyone interested in finding more about the club can call Karen on 01353 664271 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org