Players celebrate landmark season for club
- Credit: Archant
Table Tennis There was plenty to celebrate at Ely Table Tennis Club this week as members looked back on a successful season.
Rob Pownall, Greg Ozog and Karen Byford enjoyed an unbeaten season in the Ely and District Third Division, helping win promotion for next term.
Meanwhile, Andrew Maguire, the club’s first team captain, capped a strong season by winning a Berlin Open Tournament event against some talented local competition.
Andrew also won the veteran’s singles event in the league’s Closed Tournament held in February.
Club chairman, Howard Middleton, said: “Andrew’s achievement in winning the Berlin Open Tournament is nothing short of exceptional. It is a testimony to his dedicated work and support of our club over many years.
“Our club overall has grown much in stature and experience over the past 12 months. Two new teams have been successfully introduced into the Ely League, with further growth, including the Cambridge League, expected for next season.”
Club secretary, Karen Byford, added: “We still welcome new, experienced players to our ranks ahead of the next season, starting in September.”
- 1 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 2 Take a look inside £600,000 period home with 'outstanding charm'
- 3 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 4 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 5 Cambridge 'knife-wielder' arrested
- 6 Santas learn how to put the Ho Ho Ho into Christmas
- 7 New deadline for £6m crematorium decision
- 8 Sanctuary Housing criticised over empty homes in Ely
- 9 First visit not 'a flying success' but pub deserves second chance
- 10 £1,350 a day (plus VAT) for new chief executive at combined authority
Anyone interested in finding more about the club can call Karen on 01353 664271 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org