Plain sailing for Ladies Plate winner Seymour
- Credit: Archant
Sailing Alayne Seymour swept to victory in Ely Sailing Club’s Ladies Plate competition sailed on Saturday.
A fleet of seven ladies took part in the 43rd running of the event and all but one sailed in a topper.
Seymour, sailing a laser, was eight minutes late for the start of the first race, and it took her a lap to work her way to the front of the fleet.
On corrected time, she finished three minutes ahead of Jo Board, with Clare Christan in third place.
Just after the start of the second race, a freak gust of wind caused Susie Sallis and Christine Levett to capsize. Meanwhile, Board took an early lead and Seymour had to work her way through the fleet again. On corrected time, Board was 30 seconds behind Seymour so, with two firsts to count, Seymour was awarded the trophy.
Commodore Andy Wilcox presented a bouquet of flowers to the first three ladies.
Result. 1 Alayne Seymour 2 points. 2nd Jo Board 4 points. 3. Clare Christan 6 points.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 4 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 5 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 6 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 7 BMX star, 11, hopes world debut can lead to Olympics dream
- 8 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 9 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 10 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
4th Christine Levett 8 points. 5 Suzie Sallis 11 points. 6. Melanie Patrick 12 points . 7 Emma Rees 13 points.