Plain sailing for Ladies Plate winner Seymour
- Credit: Archant
Sailing Alayne Seymour swept to victory in Ely Sailing Club’s Ladies Plate competition sailed on Saturday.
A fleet of seven ladies took part in the 43rd running of the event and all but one sailed in a topper.
Seymour, sailing a laser, was eight minutes late for the start of the first race, and it took her a lap to work her way to the front of the fleet.
On corrected time, she finished three minutes ahead of Jo Board, with Clare Christan in third place.
Just after the start of the second race, a freak gust of wind caused Susie Sallis and Christine Levett to capsize. Meanwhile, Board took an early lead and Seymour had to work her way through the fleet again. On corrected time, Board was 30 seconds behind Seymour so, with two firsts to count, Seymour was awarded the trophy.
You may also want to watch:
Commodore Andy Wilcox presented a bouquet of flowers to the first three ladies.
Result. 1 Alayne Seymour 2 points. 2nd Jo Board 4 points. 3. Clare Christan 6 points.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Man found dead in March
- 6 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 7 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 8 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 9 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 10 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
4th Christine Levett 8 points. 5 Suzie Sallis 11 points. 6. Melanie Patrick 12 points . 7 Emma Rees 13 points.